The general rule is that you can claim deductions for expenses your business incurs in its task of generating assessable income. Many of these deductions are obvious – rent, materials, supplies and so on — but there are also some less obvious options left available just before the end of the income year, should your circumstances suit, to further reduce your enterprise’s tax burden for the year.

Pay tomorrow’s expense today

If your business has taken out a loan, any interest accrued but not physically paid by June 30 is potentially deductible (the crucial factor of course being that the loan was used to produce assessable income, which most business loans are) — assuming that the business accounts for tax on an accruals basis. In a similar vein, see if you can negotiate with your finance provider to make upfront interest repayments — that is, they may not be “due” until after July 1, but the finance provider will accept them before then.

In a related tip, it is a fact of life that many sole traders fund some business activities through their personal credit card or a personal loan. Because the interest costs are not being incurred under the business name, but in the name of the business owner, many operators have unfortunately assumed that a deduction cannot be claimed.

But remember — a sole trader’s business and non-business activities are all dealt with under the taxpayer’s personal income for tax purposes. So qualifying business expenses will be deductible even if you used your personal credit card instead of your business one.

Silk purse from a sow’s ear

Another unfortunately not uncommon fact of business life is that some amounts owed to you sitting on the balance sheet are not likely to ever be paid. Now is the best time of year to re-consider these amounts, and decide if any are legitimate bad debts, and therefore able to be written off and be transformed into a tax deduction.

To this end, it could pay to go back through your outstanding invoices to find potential bad debt candidates and write them off before June 30. However the ATO has rules regarding bad debt deductions — call our office for more details.

Capital gain shuffle

Capital losses can be offset against, and therefore reduce, taxable capital gains that you may make on selling other assets. So if your business is due to sell some assets that will realise a capital loss, try to crystallise these losses before June 30.

If however the sale will produce a capital gain, delay crystallising this gain until the 2017-18 income year so that you will have a full fiscal year to get in place options to offset that gain with capital losses or revenue expenses. It may even be worthwhile for you to sell an underperforming asset, and realise a loss, if this suits your CGT circumstances.

And remember, as a general rule the “CGT event” for a disposal occurs at contract date — this could help in your planning if you sell an asset where settlement and/or payment takes place in 2017-18 but the contract is executed in 2016-17.

Trading stock isn’t always standard

Taking into account the changed value of your trading stock over an income year can affect the resulting taxable income. But as you can have a choice of how that valuation is arrived at — that is, cost, market selling, or replacement value (or even a lower value due to obsolescence) — the end result may allow you to either bring forward deductions or alternatively increase taxable income if you have sufficient deductions to use up for the 2016-17 year.

And remember, each item of trading stock can be valued differently for tax purposes. Ask for our help should you need guidance.

Appreciate depreciation

Getting a tax deduction for the wear and tear and loss of value on business assets that are used to derive assessable income is a stalwart of the business tax regime, so a review of your enterprise’s depreciation schedule is always prudent. Any number of opportunities can be discovered, including the ability to scrap and write-off amounts of redundant assets, reassess remaining effective lives, or allocate assets to a low value pool.

This is important for this and next tax year as the $20,000 instant asset write-off has been extended until June 30, 2018 (subject to legislation passing). It will thereafter revert to $1,000 (notwithstanding possible further changes in next year’s Federal Budget).

A bonus from staff bonuses

Businesses that account for tax on an accruals basis are entitled to claim a tax deduction for an expense in the year in which the business has committed to the liability. If you have committed to pay employees end-of-year bonuses, the accrued expense can be claimed as a tax deduction even though it is physically paid next financial year.

A company can also claim director bonuses in the year the expense is accrued in the same way (directors are classified as employees). For a company to claim a deduction for a director or employee bonus without physically paying the money, the company must, before the end of the financial year, commit to the payment of a specific amount. The amount need not be quantified but the calculation methodology must be fixed (for example, a formula based on profits or revenue amounts yet to be finalised). The commitment should be documented (such as minutes of a directors’ meeting).

Soak up those losses

There may be a case to offset prior year losses against current year income, however for companies and trusts the ability to do so can be subject to certain conditions (the carry forward loss rules). These include the continuity of ownership test and the same business test for a company.

See the accompanying article in this newsletter “What is a tax loss, and how can it be turned to good use?” Consult with us should this seem applicable.

Remember the concessions

Parliament has finally passed most of the business tax relief package announced in the last Federal Budget, but with some amendments. The legislation brings into effect the following changes for SME businesses:

– Progressive cuts to the company tax rate:

– The tax rate will be progressively reduced to 27.5% from 2016-17 to 2018-19 for companies that are carrying on a business and have an aggregated turnover of less than $50 million.

– The 27.5% rate for those entities will be progressively cut to 25% by 2026-27.

– An increase to the small business entity threshold from 2016-17:

– The aggregated turnover threshold for access to most small business tax concessions will be $10 million, with the exception of the below concessions.

– The threshold for the small business income tax offset will be $5 million.

– The threshold for the small business CGT concessions will remain at $2 million.

And finally a reminder that the small business income tax offset rate for unincorporated enterprises for 2016-17 has gone up to 8%, and will stay at that rate until 2023-24. It will then double to 16% by 2026-27 (the offset will remain capped at $1,000 a year however).

A summary of concessions available for small business and eligible thresholds is as follows (from July 1, 2016):

Aggregated annual turnover $20,000 instant asset write-off Small business CGT concessions Small business restructure roll-over Company tax cuts Small business income tax offset Small business pool Immediate deduction for certain start-up costs
< $2m Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
< $5m Yes No Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
< $10m Yes No Yes Yes No Yes Yes


You generally make a tax loss when the total deductions that can be claimed for a financial year exceed the total of assessable and net exempt income for the year.

If you operate a business that makes a loss you can generally carry forward that loss and claim a deduction for it in a future year. If you’re a sole trader or in a partnership, you may be able to claim business losses by offsetting them against your other personal income (such as investment income) in the same income year.

Certain deductions that would otherwise be allowable cannot be claimed as deductions where doing so would give rise to a tax loss. They are:

– payments of pensions, gratuities or retirement allowances to employees, former employees, or their dependents

– gifts or contributions made to deductible gift recipients

– payments made under conservation covenants, and

– personal superannuation contributions.

Only sole traders or individual partners in a partnership who meet one of the non-commercial losses requirements (see below) can offset business losses against other income (such as salary or investment income) in the same income year.

If you do not meet any of these requirements, or if you operate through a company or a trust, you can still carry it forward to future years. If your business makes a profit in a following year, you can offset the deferred loss against that profit.

Note that a tax loss is different from a capital loss. A capital loss occurs when you dispose of a capital asset for less than its tax cost base. A capital loss can only be offset against any capital gains in the same income year or carried forward to offset against future capital gains – it cannot be offset against income of a revenue nature.

Your business structure can affect how you can claim tax losses. For example, companies can generally choose the year in which they claim a deduction for a carried forward tax loss. This can be useful as it means, for example, that a company can choose not to utilise prior year losses in a particular year in order to pay sufficient tax to be able to distribute franked dividends. However, if you operate as a sole trader, partnership or trust, you cannot choose the year or years in which you claim a deduction for your prior-year tax losses.

Sole traders

Individuals can generally carry forward a tax loss indefinitely, but must claim it at the first opportunity (that is, the first year that there is taxable income). You cannot choose to hold on to losses to offset them against future income if they can be offset against the current year’s income.

Carried forward tax losses are offset first against any net exempt income (such as pension income, government allowances and so on) and only then against assessable income. Losses must be claimed in the order in which they were incurred.

Non-commercial losses

If you’re in business as an individual, either alone or in a partnership, and your business makes a loss, you must check the non-commercial loss rules to see if you can offset the loss against your income from other sources, such as wages.

You can ask us about the non-commercial loss rules, but briefly these rules dictate that you can’t claim a loss for a business that is little more than a hobby or lifestyle choice (based on the legal tests, not on your intentions). Even if it has business-like characteristics, if it is unlikely to ever make a profit and doesn’t have a significant commercial purpose or character, you generally can’t offset the loss against your other income.

In these cases, if you are thinking of ramping up your efforts and are sure you will make a profit in the future, you might decide to defer the loss until you realise that profit from the business.

The non-commercial business loss requirements are:

– your business is a primary production business or a professional arts business and you make less than $40,000 (excluding any net capital gains) in an income year from other sources

– your income for non-commercial business loss purposes is less than $250,000, and either

– your assessable business income is at least $20,000 in the income year

– your business has produced a profit in three out of the past five years (including the current year)

– your business uses, or has an interest in, real property worth at least $500,000, and that property is used on a continuing basis in a business activity (this test excludes your private residence and adjacent land)

– your business uses certain other assets (excluding motor vehicles) worth at least $100,000 on a continuing basis.

If you fail all of the tests but you believe that you should be allowed to claim the loss due to special circumstances, you can apply to the ATO for the “Commissioner’s discretion” to apply, which would allow you to utilise the loss (we can help you with this application).


Companies can carry forward a tax loss indefinitely, and use it when they choose, provided that since the loss was incurred they have either:

– maintained the same majority ownership and control, or

– carried on the same business once the ownership test is failed.

If there is a change of ownership or control of a company during an income year and the company does not maintain the same business, it must work out its taxable income and tax loss. In broad terms, a company in this situation has both a taxable income and a tax loss for the same year. In some circumstances, the loss may be carried forward and used in later years, subject to the usual restrictions.

Also note that with tax losses, you must keep proper records relating to your tax affairs for at least five years. If you use information from those records in a later tax return, you may have to keep records for longer. So, if you carry forward a tax loss, you must keep the records until the end of any period of review for the income tax return in which the loss is fully deducted.

More information? To find out more, give us a call on 1300 023 782 or email

Schedule Appointment

The team at C&D Restructure and Taxation Advisory are here to help. As part of the Vault Group we can offer the full suite of financial products and advice to help you navigate the business landscape. Schedule a meeting here via Calendly or give us a call on 1300 1 VAULT (1300 182 858)

The following two tabs change content below.
Craig is the principal consultant of C&D Restructure and Taxation Advisory and has been working in the industry since 1999. Having established C&D Commercial Partners in 2015 the precursor to the current business.

Latest posts by Craig Dangar (see all)

Post Author: Craig Dangar

Craig is the principal consultant of C&D Restructure and Taxation Advisory and has been working in the industry since 1999. Having established C&D Commercial Partners in 2015 the precursor to the current business.

Leave a Reply